Sunday, May 30, 2010

Cheesecake Pansy Cookies

Start with some clean pansy blooms.

Clean pansies by rinsing and drying carefully. Trim as much as green leaves and stem as possible, being careful, if you remove stem too close the pansy will fall apart.
Cream 1 c butter
1 package cream cheese (8oz)
2 c sugar
Add 2 c flour.
Form into small balls, about 1 -1 1/2 tsp each
lightly press with glass dipped in sugar.
Bake at 350 for 4 min, remove from oven and lightly baste each cookie with egg white, affix pansies and apply another light coat of egg white. 
Return to oven and bake another 4 min or until edges just begin to turn gold. 
Remove and cool on racks.
Variation, add chopped nuts to tops or mix into dough.

One thing I have found about these cookies is little boys love them more than little girls. I thought the dainty cookies would really appeal to the girls, but the boys gobble them up. I think it is because when they realize they are actually eating a flower...they might be doing something ever so naughty ; ).  One such lad wanted to see the flowers in the garden, as we stood in the pansy patch he wanted to know if he could just pick it and eat it. Wow! when I said yes he was amazed, and kept doing it until his mom said no more. Of course we then had to discuss not just picking any old flower and eating it.

3 comments:

Brownie said...

Those look so good! I'm tempted to try to make them.... need to find a venue to serve them :)

Brownie said...

one of my blogger friends also posted a recipe. Funny - I've not seen him do that before but the recipe sounds good! http://boardinginbedlam.blogspot.com/2010/05/andy-vitrones-oatmeal-cookies-with.html

Kitty Deschanel said...

I never would have thought to decorate cookies with REAL flowers in a million years! Even knowing they're safe to eat, I'm not sure I could eat these. They're too pretty! :p

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...