Monday, March 29, 2010

Potato Klub (kloob)


OK here it goes..... this is not for the faint of heart or the kitchen novice. I grew up with my great grandma making this, only occasionally but it was quite a treat every time. I married a man who's mother used to make it in her restaurant, she actually taught me hands on how to do it. Thanks Carolyn! It is an absolute favorite. I have heard it has Norwegian as well as German roots.  No dieters allowed past this point!
 All amounts are approximate, it is not an exact kind of recipe, it is more about technique. This is a large recipe that will make about 25 klubs.
Boil ham bone in a large, very large pot filled half way.( I use my canner and another large aluminum pot) If you don't have a ham bone you can simply boil water and season with ham seasoning.
Peel approximately 15 pounds of potatoes and cut into pieces like this
Now, I use an old fashioned meat grinder......I have been asked if you can use a food processor, I don't know. I never have,  this is the way it was done and taught to me so this is the way I do it.

place ground potatoes into cool water, by handfuls, SQUEEZE the water and starch out of them and place into another bowl.

Now chop ham, left over or a Jenny-o ham, into 1/2 in squares, set aside.
For the 15 lbs of potatoes it ends up being about 10 c flour used. I keep the flour and potatoes separate and in a third bowl I begin to mix, add a little of each and form a ball, one that holds together like a snowball.  Too much flour or too little flour will cause klub to fall apart when boiling.  If you have the right consistency you can push your thumb in the middle to form a hole, place 4 or so pieces of ham inside, seal, again, squeeze hard, make sure the klub is firm, it will still be soft but should hold together well, form all balls, setting on a lightly floured surface.
Drop gently into pot a few at a time, try to keep at a full boil, cover partially with lid to keep temperature steady. When all have been added, gently stir to keep from sticking, soon....they will begin to float.
Let boil for about 1 hour and 15 min. To test doneness, let one sit for about 2 min, cut open, it will be slightly wet but firm and will continue to firm up and "dry out" if in 5 minutes it has a nice texture, it is done. Usually they don't take longer than 1 1/2 hours if the boil has been maintained.
You can remove them and let sit on a cooling rack for about 5 min, then.......Smother them with butter, salt and pepper. NO you can not merely place a little bit of butter on them, it is against the law. I know, some of you are saying..."Are you kidding?"  well...try them and see. They say you shouldn't swim for an hour after you eat.... with potato klub I think it is 4 days, you will sink!
When you are done....some fun things to know....here is all the starch sitting in the water bowl after grinding.
YUK! and here is what your kitchen will look like if you did it right.
Take that Julia! Bon Appetite

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! I think an entire blog could be dedicated to Potato Klub! Bonnie S.

xinex said...

Your table is so sterile and pure, even the food is white. It's like a table set for angels. Everything is so pretty!....Christine

Faye said...

I have a Norwegian friend who makes klub but uses graham flour and side pork for the filling. And yes, melted butter poured over the top when served. This German really likes them. As long as she makes them I don't have to. ;-)

Peggy said...

And I guess if you have any left over you slice it and fry it in the morning for breakfast!! Some people like it even better the second day----I don't know!

Anonymous said...

Klub is terrific. I love freezing them first and then cutting them into slices, frying them up in lots and lots of butter, drizzle some chokecherry syrup on them and eat it with some fresh side pork. It is a match made in heaven!!

shannon i olson said...

hmmm, I have fried them before but never had them with chokecherry syrup.... perhaps I should try that...and I haven't had side pork in ages!

J.T. said...

I too was brought up on Potatoe Klubs. My mother learned how to make them when living on a farm near Grafton. It always was and still is a treat to eat them. We however shred the potatoes by hand using a shredder and fill them with salt pork instead of the ham. YUM!

Unknown said...

Love klub! growing up my mother would make them, but never put the meat in the middle. I would eat at least 4 to 5 (I was young and my body could handle it). I would occasionally run across them @ your small town cafés; just before the holidays I had a neighbor who made them to sell as a fund raiser. They were the best, sorry mother, I have ever had. She used pork roast in the middle! I like mine with just butter n syrup. No matter how u take your Klub just enjoy it.

Laurie said...

i love my potatoe klub best the next day cut up in slices and fried. OMG its been a long time since i have had it. nummy...

lobo119 said...

Of course you can use a food processor! Makes it so much easier.

Yoga Britta said...

Why do you soak the slices in the water?

shannon i olson said...

They sit in water until I grind them and after I grind them, until I mix with flour, this prevents browning.

Gary L said...

I have made klub for years, when I cook mine I put a vegetable steamer in the bottom of my stock pot and the dumplings never stick to the bottom of the pot, it makes it a lot easier to clean up

Sandra Duvall said...

Thanks for the grinding tips! I'm registered fro the meat grinder attachment for my wedding shower and I've got my fingers crossed that I get it! We eat a lot of venison instead of ground beef, its healthier and cheaper. smartfoodprocessing

kimmycustis said...

Oh yes!!!! Soooo good fried the next day!!

Unknown said...

We use oatmeal in our klub we also fry it in butter we use a broth of ham hocks rutabaga carrots and onions in the broth

DJ said...

In your klutz recipe Do you use eggs in your recipe? Do you use two pots for cooking them?

DJ said...

Sorry that was supposed to be klub recipe!

Scot Martin said...

The principle effectiveness of a residential look that can assist you always keep, ready yourself as well as cause portions diet regime as well as in order to perform like undertakings as with dishwashing.hayward pool pump troubleshooting

Unknown said...

THE BEST EVER!!! Love it in the cool fall weather, and it is a request for birthday dinner by several!

disneygirlwv7 said...

My GRANDPARENTS came from Norway and she always made something like this but she ground potatoes and used oatmeal in them. We cooked them in a ham broth also. We dipped them in sugar when we ate them or next day sliced and fried them in bacon grease.

Dianewiggles4ever said...

This is the same way my Mom makes it, except we don't add the ham inside. She made it for our family yesterday. It was the most delicious thing ever. We have a lot left over which is good fried up the next day. I'm looking forward to that today. Not many people's recipes used the meat grinder. Thanks for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...