Saturday, March 13, 2010

chili

I have to admit, I don't know if I ever make chili exactly the same way twice but here is a basic recipe that I probably adhere to the most.
This fills a large crock pot.
2 # ground beef or turkey, browned and drained
8 cans of beans, I use red kidney, chili, and white beans. Fell free to mix and match.
   (drain and rinse kidney, white, or navy beans. if I use chili beans I will put the liquid in with them, up to 3 cans, then I will drain any after that)
1 29oz can tomato sauce
2-3 cloves crushed garlic or 2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 large onion, diced
1/4 c honey
2 tsp. cumin
1-2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/8 c chili powder
salt and pepper
Put into crock pot and let simmer about 8 hours, a couple hours in, do a little taste test, add more of what you like, if it is too thick add 1/2 c water or more tomato sauce. 
You will notice I do not add canned tomatoes to mine, you however can if you like. I don't because I simply don't like them in my chili.
Toppings:
chopped onion, shredded cheese, sour cream, jalapenos, crackers, corn chips 

1 comment:

Kitty Deschanel said...

Thanks for the recipe! I love the suggested toppings, as I can never bring myself to just "eat chili" - I have to turn it into nachos! The honey sounds like an interesting addition. I'll have to try that :)
A little barley might be good too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...