Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Tomato Pie


(I have not tried this yet..not a typical Northern dish, this one comes from a friend in Mississippi so I hope if you give it a whirl before  I do you will leave a comment and tell me what you thought!)

1 9 inch pie shell, check out my pie crust recipe here.
7 ripe tomatoes, sliced
1 purple onion, sliced
1/2 c mayonaise
1/3 c shredded mozzarella cheese (or cheese of your choice)
1/3 c grated Parmesan cheese
black pepper to taste
cayenne pepper to taste (opt)
2 Tbs finely minced jalapeno pepper - adjust to taste preference!
Garnish with fresh basil and/or oregano

Preheat oven to 350
bake pastry shell until browned, 8-10 min
slice onion and place in bottom of pie crust, slice tomatoes and arrange over onions. Add peppers to taste.
In bowl, combine cheeses, and mayo and jalapenos, spread over pie evenly. Return to oven for 20-25 min or until golden, top with fresh herbs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's everything I love, I will try this :)

shannon i olson said...

Taken from a facebook comment,
I liked the recipe but tweaked it a little. peeled the tomatoes, used just 1 layer of them sliced thick, seared the onions a little in a skillet with a little oil before putting them in pie shell, used about 1 cup moz and 1/2 cup parm. baked about 35 mins. turned out good.

Suzy said...

I make something very similar and love it. It's fit for a meal in itself. Great for lunch on a weekend.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...