Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Stone Ware

  If you have never tried baking or cooking with stone ware, now is the time. I was skeptical years ago, I had a Pampered Chef party and if my demonstrator hadn't talked me into it and had my party not reached the level of attaining it as a free item, I never would have bought it. I was worried about the "not washing" in soap and water, the seasoning process, the weight etc.
  My first piece was a bar pan, when you get it the color is very light clay, see newer pieces above. After use, it continues to darken, my first bar pan became black, completely black I used it almost every day. It eventually broke and I am now breaking in a new one.
 It is a little pricey, but worth every penny. Often you can find a piece at a garage sale, from someone who went to a party and probably bought one out of guilt (because they have to buy something) or they just never started using it. Shame really. But it is a great way to get a lower price and try it out. There are a few other brands at stores, I have some of those too. They work fine, I think Pampered Chef's product is a little better but I use it all just the same.
Bar pan on bottom, a store brand cookie sheet and various pizza pans. I use all of these when baking cookies.
I also make pizza, cook fish sticks, buns, cresent rolls- from the dairy aisle, etc on these pans.
The bowls are wonderful for oven stews, bread bowls and can be used as a dutch oven with bottom round stone cake pan.
I have a multi loaf pan, it works very well, loaves are just right, not too small.
  Over the years I have owned several pieces, a few have broken, it is stone so you have to be careful. I was had a serious lapse in judgment and actually added water out of the tap into the hot pan in the oven, duh! that would even break glass!! 

Seasoning requires only spraying or buttering and/ or cooking high fat foods the first few times.
Clean up is hot water with a scraper, soon a dark slick coating will develop and less fat is required.
Pans are heavy, keep them in an easy access place.
If you have stone ware, like it or not, leave a comment and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Rebecca N. said...

I know this is a few months late, but I just found your blog. I received a pizza stone at a bridal shower and I absolutely love it! I use it about once a week, typically making garlic cheddar biscuits (the recipe is on the back of the bisquick box). The only time I can remember using it more than this was during the week of our one month anniversary, which I dubbed "Pizza Week." I made one homemade pizza each day for four days (we had leftovers on the other days).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...